Thursday, October 15, 2015

Why regional cinema shouldn’t avoid having subtitles anymore.


I just saw the trailer of Rani Padmini, an upcoming Malayalam film starring Manju Warrier and Rima Kallingal among others. As much as I like the trailer, I am dismayed by the fact that the trailer did not have subtitles, which means, most likely the film will not have subtitles either. 

Now let me take you through my thought process.

Hey, looks like a nice movie, must watch it.
Oh, no subtitles - how will Tamanna watch it?
Will have to go without her...
Or will take her along and translate every dialogue for her.
What’s the fun in that?
Never mind, we’ll watch something Hindi or English instead.




Tamanna, my wife, is Sindhi and comprehends very little Malayalam. 

I am guessing a lot of people who comprehend little to no Malayalam undergo the same  thought process. 

I am grateful to the makers of Anjali Menon's Bangalore Days for not only having subtitles 
but also putting effort into doing a good job of it. It was the first film my wife saw and enjoyed. Her respect for Malayalam cinema has only grown manifold because she felt included. 

I have a question for producers and filmmakers. Does subtitling a movie cost too much? You are already spending a lot of money to make the movie and promoting it on-air, online, on-ground among fan clubs and what not. Doesnt it make sense to have subtitles for the dialogues since most movies open in major metropolitan cities in India? 

Going by its trailer, Rani Padmini seems to be a decent+ film that discusses pertinent issues in contemporary India. I wonder if the makers don’t want the message in the film to reach an audience outside the Malayalam-speaking community? Why restrict it to a few who comprehend a certain language? 

Another film I’d love to watch with my wife is Lord Livingstone 7000 Kandi. The film is apparently about the need to conserve forests and wild ecosystems. That again is an important issue for India. 



The same goes for new releases from the Kannada, Telugu and Tamil films releasing every month. How do you expect regional cinema to grow if you don’t have newer audiences partaking in what you have to offer? 

Times are changing. Your audiences are changing. Catch up no? 


No comments: